Thursday, October 18, 2012

Monk Manifesto

I received the following in a daily reflection email written by Rev. Michael Piazza and he passes along something he discovered. It is well worth considering.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Christine Valters Paintner is the online Abbess of Abbey of the Arts ( abbeyofthearts.com ) and the author of seven books on monastic spirituality and creativity. She is seeking to recruit people to a contemporary monastic lifestyle that might enrich us all and our world too. She invites you to commit to the “Monk Manifesto.” It would be a great order for life, but, at the very least, it might be a helpful exercise for the next 90 days, which would bring you to the new year better prepared:

Monk Manifesto : A public expression of your commitment to live a compassionate, contemplative, and creative life.

1. I commit to finding moments each day for silence and solitude, to make space for another voice to be heard, and to resist a culture of noise and constant stimulation.

2. I commit to radical acts of hospitality by welcoming the stranger both without and within. I recognize that when I make space inside my heart for the unclaimed parts of myself, I cultivate compassion and the ability to accept those places in others.

3. I commit to cultivating community by finding kindred spirits along the path, soul friends with whom I can share my deepest longings, and mentors who can offer guidance and wisdom for the journey.

4. I commit to cultivating awareness of my kinship with creation and a healthy asceticism by discerning my use of energy and things, letting go of what does not help nature to flourish.

5. I commit to bringing myself fully present to the work I do, whether paid or unpaid, holding a heart of gratitude for the ability to express my gifts in the world in meaningful ways.

6. I commit to rhythms of rest and renewal through the regular practice of Sabbath and resist a culture of busyness that measures my worth by what I do.

7. I commit to a lifetime of ongoing conversion and transformation, recognizing that I am always on a journey with both gifts and limitations.

Imagine for a moment that you are a modern monk and this is how you lived. How would your lifestyle need to change? Well, you've been looking for help being different; perhaps this is one path you could try.

Blessings,
Rev. Michael Piazza
Co-Executive Director, Center for Progressive Renewal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peace in Christ,
Pastor Gary Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment