Thursday, March 25, 2021

Expectations


Recently, a member of the church and I had a short conversation. His basic point was that the church was in decline and I was not living up to his and his friends' (other church members) expectations. This man is a friend and he is faithful to his beloved church. It was hard to hear but he is not wrong, especially in one area where I have failed: staying in contact with the older generation of this church during our COVID pandemic shutdown.

In 21 years of ministry, visitation and staying connected in other ways has always been a weakness. I have always needed to have some one, or a few, to prod me. I know I can do better but I should offer an explanation which is not intended as an excuse.

Have you ever taken the Myers-Briggs Personality Inventory? You can learn more about it here: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. My "type" is ISTP = Introversion Sensing Thinking Perceiving. Another site offered this explanation of ISTP:

ISTP indicates a person who is energized by time spent alone (Introverted), who focuses on facts and details rather than ideas and concepts (Sensing), who makes decisions based on logic and reason (Thinking) and who prefers to be spontaneous and flexible rather than planned and organized (Perceiving). ISTPs are sometimes referred to as Craftsperson personalities because they typically have an innate mechanical ability and facility with tools.

Knowing this, I also know that I can overcome my default type and reach out to others. I pledge to start calling five to six members each week. When I get my second vaccination in a couple of weeks I will begin visiting our members in the nursing homes, assisted living facilities and those who cannot get out much.

I ask for your forgiveness and for your help. Communication is a two-way avenue. Please feel free to call me just to let me know how you are doing. If you know someone who needs a visit or a call, let me know. Pray for me and your church everyday.

Having said all of that, what are your expectations of a pastor? Not just me - any pastor. If you do a Google Search of "Church expectations of Pastors" you will get 38,900,000 results. I didn't find the particular article I was looking for but the first page of results brought up some interesting articles:

    Churches Need Realistic Expectations for Pastor

    Expectations of a Pastor

    2 Wrong Expectations Churches Place on Pastors

    Setting Realistic Expectations (for churches starting revitalizations)

The article I read 10 or 12 years ago (but I cannot seem to find anymore) listed the qualities of a pastor that many people in any given church want (I have made this list up since I don't have the article):

  • Great preacher
  • Great teacher
  • Leads an uplifting worship
  • Goes to all church meetings
  • Prays great prayers
  • Knows the Bible inside and out
  • Theologically aligned with the congregation
  • Visits those in the hospital
  • Visits people in nursing homes and assisted living homes
  • Visits the home bound (or semi-home bound)
  • Evangelizes
  • Grows the Church by bringing in new people
  • Works with children and youth
  • Leads great Bible studies
  • Grows stewardship and giving in the church
  • Knows how to deal with church finances
  • Sings in the choir, plays guitar or piano (organ would be better)
  • Innovates new church programs that always succeed
  • Has a large family that attends church
  • Has a stable, loving marriage
  • Has 10 or more years experience
  • Is friendly and knows everyone by name
  • [For some churches: be a male of the same ethnicity as the church]
  • Is willing to work full-time for no pay (😀 I made that up.)

The article went on to say that a pastor can excel at three qualities, or four at most, and be good at three others. The rest will be lacking. Some pastors are great preachers but have a hard time teaching youth. Some pastors are great at visitation but their sermons consistently fall flat. Some pastors may be great being at all the meetings, knowing the finances, and developing new programs but their marriages may be falling apart. 

All churches need to have realistic expectations of their pastors. The pastor will have strengths but they also come with weaknesses. A pastor cannot be all things to all people. If they try, they burn out and crash. 

A church with realistic expectations of their pastor will not be disappointed. A healthy, functioning church will pick up the slack where the pastor is not gifted.  

This past Sunday we read the Gospel According to Mark 12:28 to 13:37. Jesus calls us to stay awake and keep busy:

Beware, keep alert; for you do not know when the time will come. It is like a man going on a journey, when he leaves home and puts his slaves in charge, each with his work, and commands the doorkeeper to be on the watch. (13:33-34)

What is the work we are to be doing?

“Which commandment is the first of all?” Jesus answered, “The first is, ‘Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the Lord is one; you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ The second is this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” (12:28b-31)

While we, the church, are awaiting the return of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, let us all be busy with the work he has given us.

Grace and Peace be with you,

Pastor Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment